Edtech and me

I write this as I am being nominated for an award (see this link)

I think it's important to remember where you came from and those who shaped your path, always. This might be an individual award (and I may not even make the shortlist) but recognition for others who helped me, is deserved.

Back in 2015 I took a break from FE for maternity. I returned in 2016.

What followed was a year of me finding my feet. Literally.

I was told that we couldn't use memory sticks anymore (hello 2016!) And that all my lessons were on Google. I'm not joking, that was all I got from the Google expert in my team! After a day of googling, 'where are my transformations of shapes lessons?' and crying I asked my husband if I could buy a Chromebook. No, I didn't need his permission but yes, having returned from maternity and having zero money of my own, I felt that I should. I spent £149 on a Chromebook and vowed to teach myself how to create lessons in this Google thing.

Welcome Johnny Diamond and Steve Hope to the frame. We had never worked together before but they said to everyone at college, if anyone could make good, maths lessons in Google for education they would reward them with money! When my child was at nursery and I had TOIL owed for evening classes, I wrote. When I got home early from the traffic and my child's nursery was paid for another hour yet, I wrote! Boy did I write! I wrote 30ish lessons, all original material for GCSE maths. What a learning curve. I included #Equatio (handy given now that's my actual job!) I wrote robust multiple choice quizzes with Equatio in Google Forms. I wrote full sequenced lessons on Google Slides, all original materials including diversity and inclusion examples as well as British values. Like I said, I wrote!

My motivation for this was purely financial, to earn the £149 I had just spent back, if I am honest! But this learning experience was to kick start a chain of events. On that same £149 Chromebook I became a level 1 and level 2 certified educator in Google for education. I was determined to teach myself!

My approach with EdTech is always, what need is it serving, does anything we already have serve that need, what else do we need to make this the best solution ever? This approach often means I stay in my lane.

Steve Hope saw something in me. Something. I don't know what it was, and we are still very close and I could ask him, but I don't need to, because I don't think it matters what it was. I was a nervous maternity returner but he saw me learn this Google thing, write all those lessons, teach across multiple campuses, all with a small child in tow. I didn't work for Steve, yet, he included, encouraged and supported me.

2018 saw another maternity leave. The day of my 12 week scan I interviewed for Steve for an advanced Practitioner role. I went for my scan, came in for lunch and the tried to appear 'normal' for an interview, this is not a recommended approach! Steve offered me the job and didn't bat an eye when I said I was pregnant again. That whole convo will stay with me forever. He genuinely didn't think it would affect my role, I have to be honest aside from 5 months fully away, it didn't. I also became a Google for education certified trainer in 2018. That Google thing that I had been determined to teach myself, I now had qualifications in it and could train others. 

In the months before my leave Steve brought Iain Thompson on board who was (and forever will be) my rock. We were a brilliant team. We still are, just it's a friendship team not a work team! Whilst on a KIT on maternity Steve asked me to apply for APconnect. I did (in a park mid baby feed via my phone!) When I returned to work in 2019 my focus was to get up to speed with what I missed on APconnect and lean on Iain Thompson. I relied on him. We went to an event and we met Lou Mycroft. I was back on track with my APconnect work. AP connect, did that, it connected me to other APs nationally to learn and grow with. 

2020, you know.

It was only recently when I said it out loud did it sink in. 2020, Iain, Steve and I supported over 1000 staff who had over 10000 students with all their Edtech needs as they taught online. We did this remotely in our homes, me in mine with a baby and a child in reception which meant homeschooling too. I don't think I can ever fully explore the feelings of that period, it was tough.

When it got really tough in summer 2020 I remembered Lou from APconnect offering us to reach out when we needed, I have no idea why this popped into my head when it did but I am grateful that it did and I found the ideas room with JoyFE. JoyFE gave me that peer support to test Edtech ideas on, we did Flip birthday cards for each other!

2020 I applied to be an innovator as part of the Google for education programmes. To my surprise I was chosen as one of 75 of the many who applied. I think everything until this point shaped things but this event changed things. I met  Ryan Evans here and just like I would be lost without Iain, I would be lost without Ryan too. There isn't a week that goes by without me needing advice from Ryan. We pushed, and still push, each other with EdTech, that critical friend that drives you on and always has your back, that's me and Ryan!

2021 I left working for Steve. I was now self employed trying to carve a path on the noisy world of Edtech and consultancy. In comes Jamie Smith and Ian Nairn. Late 2020 we began discussions and it was to be that I would have a regular self employed gig with C Learning working on exciting new products (AI/XR) coming to market as well as CPD for colleges and schools on Edtech. I was unknown to them, they took a chance. I vividly remember the day I finally said out loud that I was going to go self employed and that I was nervous. Jamie asked what's stopping you from doing it, and I said nothing, I won't let my family starve. That saying it out loud conversation was a massive moment.

2021 I was named Edtech50 (mind blowing). It also saw me be a Google Certified Coach (very early doors as in one of the first 2 in UK and Europe). Then mentor other cohorts through my gig at Canopy. Grateful for the work from canopy through this period too, consulting with colleges and local authorities on Edtech. Throughout all this self employed period, I still thought an evening class of GCSE maths every week, I loved teaching. How could I help people with EdTech if I hadn't used it myself? My classes also appreciated me staying in my lane, too much Edtech can distract from what we are here to learn. 

I have to mention my 2020-21 GIFs work. In my teaching I had a lot of students struggle with lack of access to internet and data. They had other financial struggles too and safeguarding referrals were regular but data and device access directly affected their learning. I built a short CPD course on how I turned to creating GIFs to bridge that gap. I delivered this to colleges and schools and recorded it and it's free on Eduspark. Hat tip to Eduspark for bringing me in early doors, supporting and believing in me.

Another regular gig in this period was APconnect itself. APconnect is run by Touch Consulting. That wonderful programme that had shaped me as an Advanced Practitioner, I now worked on. This was down to Joss Kang and Lou taking a chance on me. Here I got to hone my Edtech in a different way. Outside the Google for education eco system and support APs nationally.

2022 I decided to take a job, gigging had been fun, a blast! Texthelp had a role that I had seen advertised before and I decided the timing wasn't right. When I saw it advertised again I felt the timing was better for my family. And here we are.

I think whenever we are recognised as an individual it is really important to also recognise who helped make that individual. Hat tips throughout all of this long blog because I owe so many people for helping me learn and grow.

Why do we count in 4s?

 Why do we count in 4s in England? As a former maths teacher who chose to work in #FEmaths I think we may need to look at assessment at age ...