Revision

Revision. Nope not leaping around the room? Flashbacks from glitter and sticky notes from your teenage years? Revision is hard. Last years cohort who never got to sit their exams know that. I know that the first time I revised for my mocks I struggled and my mock results reflected that. I know that the next time I revised and sat mocks I did better because I learned what worked best for me for my revision. Last years cohort didn't get that opportunity. Their early stage attempts and revising for Christmas mocks became their final shot. They didn't develop their own flow for revision. This puts them even more at a disadvantage now they have progressed. Be it vocational level 1, 2, 3 or Alevels they have sparse experience in revision. As well as dealing with the trauma of their exams last year that never came to be, they are now learning new content for their new course. They will have to learn fast how to revise and what works for them.

But what about the resitters to gcse? Those who are unhappy with thir CAG? They have the right to sit the exam in November. Meaning that they have even less time to learn how to revise before they actually begin revising for their resits. As experienced teachers we have a duty to help them develop this revision skill. The challenge is that this needs to be at a much more rapid pace than ever previously considered. But in our experience we have taught resitters before and some of those key lessons will still apply.

The main lesson of teaching resitters was summed up beautifully by Julia Smith on the Mr Barton Podcast. This is well worth a listen if you work in FE and teach resitters. Julia makes the point that resit has to look and feel different otherwise you will get the same results. Powerfully true in my experience. If I can give students targeted practice with a new way of approaching a topic they are more likely to be engaged than if they saw the same old thing over and over again. It's like when you teach prime factor decomposition. I teach it with Beyoncé single ladies. If you like it then you should have put a ring on it. So students remember to circle their prime factors. It looks and feels different but the content is still the same.

There is a mindset shift to be had in gcse resit. The task that you though was completed has been set again. You automatically become deflated and start from an unhappy place. Your mind had closed that door off believing it to be done and now you have to open it up again. The teachers role is holding that door open and offering a way through for students. The path has to be a different route to that gcse destination. Thinking about this year's resitters we need to give them more than we have ever given to help them make this mindshift change.

I love technology and I love a new tool. Thinglink has been a new joy to me. Especially when preparing for resit. I am able to give a motivational supportive message at the start to connect and engage my resitters. I was then able to use a revision mat as an assessment tool. If it makes sense and you could have a crack probably don't revise that topic too much. If it's a complete blank and you've no idea revise that topic first. Each topic then linked to more practise. All from the one Thinglink. It looks and feels different. It's positive. 

We have lots of resources for revision and we know it needs to be short, sharp and fast. Thinglink is a great tool to create revision tours with. You could display a whole unit of work on algebra. Linking each topic to existing resources. Giving students choice. Engaging students with new media. Connecting students with your own voice and your own explanations. We can curate resources in a whole new way for resitters by using Thinglink. Thinglink helps us change the path to the same gcse destination.

Here's my revision Thinglink here. If you make one you can make it oublicalky available too on Thinglink for others. Let's be the change. 

Why do we count in 4s?

 Why do we count in 4s in England? As a former maths teacher who chose to work in #FEmaths I think we may need to look at assessment at age ...