EdPuzzle

I moved into an Ed tech role 2 years ago. I am not an expert in ed tech and actually a lot of my maths lessons are dull and very non techy, I think that’s what makes my colleagues willing to listen to me when I come and show them some new glittery tech. I am acutely aware that time is precious. I am proud that I will only show staff a tech idea if I see a real benefit. It has been very unsuccessful when we have been asked to ‘push’ tech out to staff! I was reflecting on the Google Forms for Feedback using videos and thought, I need to assess them part way through these videos, otherwise we may end up with more misconceptions. I stumbled upon EdPuzzle.


EdPuzzle is fantastic, I am not ‘pushing’ it to you merely telling you the benefits it has given my learners and other staff’s groups. EdPuzzle allows you to insert questions into a video that you can either set as free text or multiple choice. In maths I use it inside Corbett maths videos. When Mr Corbett uses a GCSE question for a second example I will pause the video and insert a question using EdPuzzle. My learners enjoy it. They say it keeps them watching. It reminds them to make notes! I have tried it will my 16-18 learners who enjoy the speediness of it, they like that they have to do something rather than just watching the video. My adult learners, 19+ enjoy it because it gives them time to take in what has happened so far in the video. Here is a quote from a student who is in his late 60’s:

“It is hard to get the video to play but I like that it pauses it, I can think about what has gone before. I can watch some more and enjoy the explanation”


I take the point, it turned out that EdPuzzle when on an Apple iOs device needs the EdPuzzle app downloading rather than watching it in a browser. That part is hard to explain to students (and staff) that some need an app and others don’t. The power of the tool regardless of this initial barrier to accessing the tool makes it worthwhile. Once the learners have watched the video you can get a RAG rated sheet of their marks, timings etc. Evidence of progress over time as they work through tasks. You can lock videos down so that the learners can’t skip until they answer the question. Sometimes I enable this and sometimes I don’t depending on my group.


I knew the power of the tool and was slowly working my way into embedding it naturally in my lessons when I decided to share it with another department. I took it to the English as a second language, ESOL department. I demonstrated it to the staff, my hope was that the staff would see the benefit to them that their learners could listen to the English spoken language and then answer questions based on what they had heard. I was right, they loved it. One teacher took it to heart, it instantly became her go to method for assessing topics. She insisted on using her own videos rather than inserting questions into existing You Tube videos as I had been doing. The level of effort she put into this cannot be underestimated. 


What transpired was a brilliant display of dedication and commitment by this teacher to her ESOL learners. They could watch a video on their phone as they're were waiting for a bus and practise the language that they needed for the journey. The teacher had evidence of progress over time using the tracking produced by EdPuzzle. She could show starting points, hours spent learning and improvement in the quiz scores. In my lessons my learners felt that it brought Corbett maths to life. As brilliant as Hegarty maths is, the students appreciated a different voice and a different method of assessment. As I set it to multiple choice in the Corbettmaths videos, I didn't need to mark the work. I used misconceptions for my incorrect answers. See my post on misconceptions in my Google Forms blog. Then the video progressed and Mr Corbett answered the question in much more detail than I ever would so if the learners had misunderstood or made a mistake they could identify where they had gone wrong. Finally to end I would I sent another multiple choice question with an image of a GCSE exam question to see if there had been any progress. It looks a little like this: 



The video pauses before the second example by Mr Corbett. I have used the incorrect angle fact of angles on a straight line add up to 180o to give the incorrect options of 85 and 100 degrees. I have also listed 45o as an incorrect option to diagnose the misconception of opposite angles being equal applying here. The video then resumes after the learners answer the question and Mr Corbett goes through in great detail how and why the correct answer is 140o. I really like this as an independent learning assessment tool. I am all for something that gives learners independence, stretches them, reduces my workload and evidences progress, I think EdPuzzle is a great tool that hits this brief!


Why do we count in 4s?

 Why do we count in 4s in England? As a former maths teacher who chose to work in #FEmaths I think we may need to look at assessment at age ...